What are the Pros and Cons of Choosing Clomid?
Female infertility is a common issue in the modern world. The causes of this unfortunate problem can include many factors, such as hormonal imbalances, the formation of cysts on the ovaries, abnormal bodyweight, and various physical ailments. Anovulation is among the most common problems leading to infertility, and there is a range of drugs that can help stimulate ovulation in women. Clomid is among the most effective and popular drugs in this category and here we invite you to learn more about this treatment.
What is Clomid and how it works
Clomid is a medication that is widely used in the treatment of female infertility. The drug contains clomiphene citrate as its active ingredient and it achieves its effect of helping a woman get pregnant by stimulating ovulation.
Clomid is designed to affect the production of hormones in the body. When a woman consumes this drug, it makes the body react in a way as if her levels of estrogen were lower than they actually are. The natural response of the body in this situation is to start secreting higher levels of luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones. The influence of FSH causes the ovary to produce one or more egg follicles that will release when a woman experiences ovulation. When it comes to luteinizing hormone, it is the one to stimulate ovulation in the body.
Before taking Clomid, it’s essential to determine the causes of female infertility, as it is not the right solution for everyone. Infertility may be caused due to health problems not connected to the actual ovulation and, in this case, this medication won’t be effective.
Clomid is most often prescribed to patients who experience anovulation caused by the pituitary gland dysfunction or hypothalamus dysfunction. The drug is designed to help bring the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle to the norm. In addition to that, Clomid is often prescribed to patients diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. The medication is also used as part of the IVF procedure in combination with other drugs in numerous clinics. As can be seen, Clomid is one of the commonly prescribed drugs, and it is designed to be taken over a certain (usually extended) period of time. To make the therapy course feasible, Canadian pharmacy finds the discount deals and vetted quality generics that cost considerably less; this online pharmacy has built a name for itself connecting patients on a budget with economical manufacturers.
What are the benefits and risks of Clomid?
By analyzing the studies of Clomid and the information available about this medication, medical professionals have come to a consensus regarding the pros and cons of this treatment. It’s essential to be aware of the results you can achieve with this drug but also know about potential risks before starting the treatment.
The benefits of undergoing treatment using Clomid include the following:
- Clomid is an easy-to-take medication that comes in the form of tablets. It doesn’t involve any invasive or uncomfortable procedures, which is what makes the treatment convenient for most patients. All you need to do is take an appropriate dosage of this drug in the form of tablets.
- The drug can be purchased both offline and online depending on your preferences. On average, it is possible to find better deals when buying the drug online as such platforms offer special offers and deals on a regular basis.
- You don’t need to consult a reproductive expert to start the treatment using Clomid. This medication can be prescribed by your primary care physician or OB-GYN. It means that you don’t have to spend your time and money on finding and consulting a narrowly focused specialist.
- The drug is properly tested and doesn’t cause a lot of side effects. The majority of females tolerate it well even if they don’t get the desired result after the treatment.
- The medication can be used as a part of the treatment for infertility and is often combined with other procedures, such as IVF.
While the drug is considered safe, there are still some risks associated with its consumption. Some of the concerns include the following:
- According to the studies, Clomid may affect the quality of cervical mucus, thin out uterine lining, and also cause endometrial issues. Such problems can be avoided with the selection of appropriate dosage.
- The consumption of Clomid can cause some mild side effects that include:
- Sudden mood changes
- Hot flashes
- Vision changes (blurriness)
- Tender breasts
- The consumption of Clomid is associated with an increased risk of multiple pregnancies. According to the studies, there is about a 7% risk of twin pregnancy and below 0.5% risk of other multiple pregnancies.
Letrozole – an alternative to Clomid
Clomid is not the only drug used for the treatment of anovulation in women. Because the anti-estrogenic effect of Clomid often causes a reduction of mucus production and thinning of the uterine lining, some women need to use another drug. A popular alternative is Letrozole, which is a drug belonging to the category of aromatase inhibitors. It has a different principle of work compared to Clomid, as it prevents the estrogen from being stored in different tissues of the body. The effect is achieved by blocking the enzyme that is responsible for the formation of estrogen in such tissues. As a result, because the anti-estrogenic influence is not direct, the mucus production and uterine lining are not negatively affected.
Another important factor to mention is that Letrozole has a lower risk of a multiple pregnancy compared to Clomid. The risk of getting pregnant with twins is estimated at around 5 %, but it is definitely still present.
Letrozole can become a great solution to women who experienced side effects from taking Clomid or don’t experience the improvement. Another category of patients who are often prescribed Letrozole as the first treatment includes those with unexplained infertility.